Monday, August 11, 2008

One to watch out for

This glorious bowl carries the image of a procession and illustrates the Shakespearian characters of Falstaff. The motto on the side, "Better Be Merry With The Fruitful Grape Than Sadder After None Or Bitter Fruit" perhaps indicates that it is intended as a punch bowl. The pattern is quite rare and I had only previously seen it on a jug. This example is sadly so badly damaged that I am unsure whether it is worth adding to my collection - I shall have to think on it, and perhaps down a couple of glasses of rum punch myself to help me decide... ....also, how bizarre to see not one, not two, but three caduceus marks on the bottom of this piece! If you were ever in doubt that this was by Bishop & Stonier, there's your proof.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Sometimes, life doesn't turn out the way you expected. And sometimes, it is exactly as it was 'meant' to be. I believe that life is a both a learning experience and an obstacle course to be climbed and clambered over in the most creative way possible! In doing so, you'll get to where you should be even if it's not where you'd imagined.