Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Honfleur

I was recently contacted by someone asking about the pattern called Honfleur. Although I don't have any pieces in my own collection, I was able to tell the emailer that this aesthetic style pattern came in different colourways - three of which are illustrated here: blue and white, brown transfer and with handcoloured enamels. The above pattern mark shows that the design was registered by Powell Bishop & Stonier and you can accurately date it if you have a registration reference guide ( i don't, sorry). The name Honfleur was used by several other factories, such as Wedgwood and bizarrely, Noritake. Many of P.B&S 's aesthetic designs were produced in plain brown transfer and mainly exported abroad. They also produced designs with coloured enamels and other colourways such as black/grey and white, pink & white. I do find the Brown & White not so appealling, but i understand it is highly collected in the USA.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Sometimes, life doesn't turn out the way you expected. And sometimes, it is exactly as it was 'meant' to be. I believe that life is a both a learning experience and an obstacle course to be climbed and clambered over in the most creative way possible! In doing so, you'll get to where you should be even if it's not where you'd imagined.