Thursday, August 10, 2006

I have two tazzas with eagle claw moulded trefoil bases. They have two very different designs: 'Mikado' , an oriental inspired aesthetic design and a hand-painted armourial design (probably a special commission) with heraldic beasts, intials (AR & F) and a date of 1883. It also has a latin phrase,"Virtue non armis fido". If anyone can tell me what this means, i'd be very grateful! I have also seen the same body shape with a nursery rhyme theme (these were commonly produced in 1920s/30s and mostly on childrens teasets and beakers etc).

2 comments:

Ben said...

Virtue non armis fido = 'I trust in virtue, not in arms'. You're really into this stuff, aren't you? I'm surprised Callum couldn't translate for you - he seems a knowledgeable chap.

stonehouse said...

Hi There,
Have just picked up a large amount of Mikado dinner plates and large soup plates, which I will be putting on Ebay under the username of Kelterman.I love Oriental inspired porcelain, and we deal in it regularly.
Regards Numki

About Me

My photo
Sometimes, life doesn't turn out the way you expected. And sometimes, it is exactly as it was 'meant' to be. I believe that life is a both a learning experience and an obstacle course to be climbed and clambered over in the most creative way possible! In doing so, you'll get to where you should be even if it's not where you'd imagined.